Monday, September 20, 2010

GTL: The Regional Differences

Though I have never had a first hand encounter with the ever popular Jersey Shore, I frequently come in contact with the abbreviation "GTL" standing for 'gym, tanning, laundry'.  This mantra used by The Situation (recently elected to Dancing with the Stars) and Snookie, along with their co-stars, determines the happenings of their everyday life.  As some may stereotype the entire East coast now as a people solely focused on self-gratification, washboard abs, Gucci and orange skin, I venture to argue this stereotype.  Naturally, a stereotype never fulfills the generalization of an entire region and in this, I bring forth an example from a new primetime reality series, Rio Grande Shore.  Based in my hometown, this new series is based on the same abbreviation, "GTL," but stands for something much different: 'Ghetto Thug Life." No one really knows what this entails except for the thugs directly involved. The very fact that I, a native, do not know exactly what this means, breaks the stereotypical regional mantra.  Welcome to the Ghetto Gym run by Tanning Thugs where we celebrate the Laundry Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment