Thursday, September 16, 2010

Stereotyping in the Diversity Committee: Mexi-cats

While studying the Art of education, one often is required to take such classes that introduce and discuss the prospect of diversity within the nation and within the classroom.  As one of Hispanic descent, I used to look forward to learning the ways of equality in these classes. To my dismay, this is just the opposite of what happens in these classes.  Rather, I feel like the center of attention most days as my professors put me on the spot asking questions such as "Shelby, how do Mexican Americans deal with personal space issues?" and "Shelby, how do you celebrate Dia de los Muertos?"  Well I usually like to respond with some smart ass sarcastic response such as "Well, we Mexicanos don't really have a personal bubble or a problem with people in close proximity" or "Well, in my family, we dance around graves and sing to our ancestors while eating some 'Dead Bread.'"  On the contrary, I do have a personal bubble and do not like it when people initiate the touching, though I don't mind it if I initiate the contact. Also, I do not personally celebrate Dia de los Meurtos. No one in my extended family does.  If we go back four generations or so, maybe, just maybe our ancestors celebrated this day, but not with dance and 'Dead Bread' (which is a real thing- it's like Friendship Bread, but for a Mexican holiday celebrating our dead friends...and family....mostly our family...).  Nonetheless, I am still a part of the Diversity Committee and today during Club Fair, I joined O.L.A.S (Organization of Latin American Students). Clever, huh? I didn't come up with the name, but I find it appropriate.  In Spanish, 'olas' are 'waves' in English.  I don't know what the significance of waves is, though. Maybe we will learn to surf in Latin American club.  Wishful thinking.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! This article promps me to fondly recall that oh so precious moment when I was rolling myself up in one of my Grandmother's quilts in Suite A and telling everybody, "when i was little we used to play Caterpillar-to-Butterfly!". To which you replied "oh, we called that Burrito!" LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I cannot believe you are racially stereotyped like that in class so often! That's ridiculous! Like it's mind-blowing that teachers are so stupid as to think that non-white people of our age and social status (aka, able to be in university) are somehow able to hold to their cultural pasts and not assimilate themselves with current American culture. Impossible I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idea: you should start messing with everyone's brain and start making up some crazy traditions and convincing everyone that that's what the REAL hispanic people do

    ReplyDelete